Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 90 - March 31, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again...

I've been gone from this blog for almost three weeks.  Did ya miss me? LOL! Well I haven't been slacking too much since my last entry.  After the week of the 10th, I was wiped out and spent the next week recuperating.  The next week, I got back on track and completed my third week of Phase 2.  This week is the recovery week and last week of Phase 2 and then on to Phase 3.  Even though it's been a recovery week, it still feels like the normal routine.  The main parts of the routine are still a part of the recovery week (Core Synergistics, Cardio X, and Kenpo X) so it's still takes a lot out of you. I started off with a 10-minute routine by Tony Horton and then felt too whipped to continue until this morning.  I decided to switch up my routine and workout in the morning instead of after work.  That actually turned out to be a good idea because I got it over with and I felt energized for the start of the day. Hopefully that energy will carry me throughout the work day, and at least when I get home, I won't have to do a routine. Tomorrow's goal is to do Kenpo X in the morning and finish off the cardio with Cardio X on Saturday. 

Frustration...

I've been feeling pretty frustrated with my progress thus far.  Although I see my body reshaping, I still struggle with proper nutrition and faster weight loss.  I was feeling really down over the weekend and for most of this week because of that and the normal blues triggers.  I kept wondering why others were more successful with starvation diets than I was with consistent, challenging workouts.  The only time I see drastic weight loss is when I reduced my calorie count to 1,200 or less and that's just not enough nutrients to get me through these hard routines.  So I end up splurging over the weekend and gain the pounds I loss throughout the week, just to starve again to get back down by the end of the next week.  It's a yo yo effect that's leaving me frustrated. 

Then just as I was about to throw in the towel, I received my April issue of Experience Life, and read the article on Reality TV weight loss programs and how they set the viewers up for failure and how unhealthy they can be for the actual participants.  Most of the article emphasized that these quick weight loss techniques are dangerous and that starvation restrictions only cause the participants to regain their weight or more, or cause other health issues.  The article discouraged 1,200 calorie diets and extensive workouts.  That made me feel much better.  Because as the article said, I was comparing myself to the people on these shows and wondering why I wasn't dropping 8 to 10 pounds a week or more like they were.  Sometimes I could get an 8 pound drop in a week, but that's at a very restrictive calorie count.  It was brutal and I was always agitated and angry, but I could trick the scale.  But as soon as I increased my calorie count the weight would quickly resurface. 

The article also talked about the other tricks that the participants used to get big weight loss results.  It described the water restrictions and the extra clothing to cause perspiration, and the lack of ventilation in the gyms, and the obsession created by these routines.  To me that doesn't seem very healthy or positive, and perhaps is the reason, several of the contestants gain some, all, or even more of their weight back.  I realized that's not the routine for me, and if it meant, it would take me a longer length of time to lose the weight, perhaps 10 pounds a month or maybe 10 pounds every two months, to ensure that I would keep it off and not risk my health, then that would be the better result for me.  Even my idol, Tony Horton's Before and After folks can make you feel discouraged because some of the guys' results are amazing in just 90 days.  But realistically, it takes more than just one round of P90X for someone with the need for a larger weight loss unless you're taking tons of supplements and again, having lower calorie restrictions. 

Patience is a Virtue...

So that's my motto for hopefully the rest of my life.  It is through patience and perseverance that I can succeed.  Sure, we always want things right now, quick and in a hurry.  But nothing worth having, is truly required within a blink of an eye.

My Word for Today:  Patience

No comments:

Post a Comment