Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 34 - February 3, 2011

MODERATION AND MODIFICATION...

Okay, here's the skinny...or the fatty, whichever you prefer on weight loss. LOL!  First, I want to always be honest with myself and with you whenever I talk about my journey through this lifestyle change.  What I've always found to be frustrating is when you listen to others talk about their journey and they are vague or paint a picture perfect story for you.  Never fear that I'll ever be vague or make it seem like it was an easy journey for me, cause it's far from that.  In fact, today was one of those days full of frustration and doubts.  Today, I was exhausted from the current exercise routine, probably suffering from withdrawal symptoms from lack of the fattening and sugary sweet foods of old, and a little jittery from all of the caffeine in the energy drinks I consumed today. ;-0 Yes, yes, I have to confess and admit that I've been hyping it up with the energy drinks. I know they're not the best methods for energy, but they have been the only resources that I've been able to get some results from.  I've tried the vitamins, the teas, the water, and nothing keeps me going like an energy drink.  But even today, the caffeine Gods couldn't help me. LOL!

To make matters worse, today is Yoga X day and I hate, hate, hate, yoga!!! Did I say, I hate yoga? I HATE YOGA!!!!!!!! Okay, I know, that's a bit extreme, but that's just how much I hate it. Out of all of the workouts within the "P90X" program, Yoga is a painfully lonnnnnnnnnggggg 90 minutes! Well, this is where the moderation and modification came into play for me today.  Because I just couldn't get through all of the twists and turns, and planks, and runner's poses, and everything above, below, and in between. LOL! So I did 25 minutes of the program.  Now the perfectionist in me, saw this as a failure.  I really wanted to do the program EXACTLY like it's set up instead of my previous modification of the program.  But honestly, I don't know if I'll ever like yoga and I don't want to dread any parts of "P90X."  So I've decided to remove yoga from my routine and substitute an extra round of Kenpo X or Cardio X or a rest day in its place.  I pray that this doesn't negatively effect my progress. ;-(

I also wanted to have "perfect" eating habits this time around. I wanted to ensure that I had the lean cuts of meat, lots of vegetables, minimal starches, and absolutely no desserts unless in the form of fruit.  But even that's not realistic for me.  This sort of restriction only increases the binge tendencies.  So I'm willing to forgo the quick and drastic weight loss that all of the diet programs and reality shows promise you, and slowly move towards my ultimate goal of a lifetime of good health and well being. I know I've said this before, but I'm beginning to truly understand the importance of this promise to myself. 

So many people are desperately trying to find the quickest way to get to that weight loss goal they don't even care what harm they might be doing to their bodies, nor do they realize that they're setting themselves up for failure.  I was talking to a co-worker today about her weight loss program and she was really hyped about the 17 pounds that she had recently shed within 3 weeks after going on a 600 calorie a day shake diet. ;-0 She was continuing down this path by now increasing her diet to two apples a day and two grilled chicken salads. When I asked her about her exercise routine, she told me that she didn't like to exercise, so she was working out only two times a week.  I held my tongue, as she talked about taking diet pills along with this routine. I kept thinking about how hungry I was feeling eating 6 times a day of healthy snacks, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with some soy ice cream for dessert; and I couldn't imagine the pain she was putting her system through to see this quick weight loss. I would be absolutely crazed if I starved myself like that.  I would also be even more exhausted than I am now, if I tried to eat like that and exercise the way I'm currently exercising.  But we all want to see those pounds drop and that number go down on the scale, sometimes, at any cost.

As difficult as it is for me to exercise patience, I promise myself today, to take it slowly and be gentle with myself.  I promise to celebrate the small as well as big accomplishments.  I promise to enjoy the process more and spend less time trying to be perfect.  I promise myself to spend the rest of the life I have, being good to me and loving me the way I should have so many years ago. 


My Word for Today:  Patience

No comments:

Post a Comment