Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2 - January 2, 2011

BACK TO BACK....

It's been 24 hours since I embarked upon the rest of my life as a healthier person.  So far, so good. ;-) I committed myself to a 43 minute exercise routine, a planned diet for the day, and grocery shopping for more healthy foods.  There were two times throughout the day that I was tempted or thought about cheating on this new routine: (1) while shopping for groceries at Whole Foods, and (2) while watching TV later in the evening.  The familiar habits of eating off of  Whole Foods' hot bar quickly resurfaced as I headed towards the deli for my lunch.  The only thing that stopped me was the fact they didn't have my favorite Jerk chicken on the hot bar. Thank God for small miracles, eh? The rest of the day was cool except for a minor headache that I think was more related to the new glucose medications not the new food regimen. 

Later in the evening after eating my last snack for the day (a bag of 100 calorie popcorn), I found myself lusting over the food commercials and recipes in a fitness magazine.  The urge for something savory or sweet resurfaced. We cleaned the refrigerator out earlier that day of most of the trigger foods, but we still had leftover vegan lasagna from Friday evening.  I envisioned that rich, gooey, soy cheese melting in my mouth and the sweet, spicy tomato sauce electrifying my taste buds.  The temptation was almost too much until reality set in painfully quick!

Instead of immediately giving into the urge to eat the high caloric meal, I looked over some previous before and after pictures and compared them to the ones that I had taken earlier that day. I compared my November pictures to yesterday's pictures and couldn't believe how quickly my body had begun to change for the worse after falling off the weight loss wagon! ;-(   Through strength training my body started forming into the early stages of a V-shape like the bodybuilders have and my tops were fitting bigger on me because my stomach and back were reducing in size.  Now, in less than two months, these changes were being undone!



I couldn't believe how fast the damage had been done, but I quickly became a believer of staying consistent with this new way of life.  Gone were the cravings for that lasagna or anything else, and remaining was the satisfaction of knowing that I had made it through the first day of the rest of my life.

Today is the next step as I continue to surround myself with positive reinforcements.  Not only is it important to clean out the refrigerator, but it's also important to clean out the space that you habitat.  I've created a home gym that needs to be surrounded by cleanliness and light.  So it's time for cleaning the house, opening the windows, and washing the workout wardrobe. ;-) Thus far, the day has started off right with a good breakfast of Tofu Scramble (recipe below), sharing this blog with you, and continuing to walk in the faith of knowing that each day offers the opportunity to make a difference in my life.

My Word for Today:  Faith


Tofu Scramble

Ingredients:

8 oz Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup diced yellow pepper
1/4 cup diced orange pepper
1/2 cup diced medium tomato
1/2 cup sliced portabello mushrooms
1 cup fresh spinach
1/4 cup shredded Daiya cheddar cheese
Seasons To Taste:  seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder

Directions:
  1. Open the container of Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu and drain the water.
  2. Place the block of Tofu onto two sheets of paper towel so that some of the excess water can continue to drain.
  3. Heat a non-stick skillet with a pan spray.
  4. Place the drained Tofu into the hot pan and use a spatula to break the block into crumbles (similar to the look of scrambled eggs).
  5. Allow the crumbled Tofu to heat in the pan.
  6. Season to taste with the seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
  7. Place all three colors of the diced peppers into the skillet.
  8. Stir the peppers into the crumbled Tofu.
  9. Allow the peppers to soften.
  10. Place the mushrooms into the pan.
  11. Stir the mushrooms into the Tofu mixture.
  12. Allow the mushrooms to soften.
  13. Place the diced tomato into the Tofu mixture.
  14. Allow the tomato to soften.
  15. Taste the Tofu mixture to determine if more seasoning is required.
  16. Season to taste if more seasoning is required.
  17. Place the Daiya cheddar cheese into the Tofu mixture.
  18. Stir in the Daiya cheddar cheese.
  19. Place a top over the skillet and reduce the heat on the stove.
  20. Let the mixture simmer for two to three minutes.

Single Serving Size: 
1

Total Servings:
6
Calories:
98.3

2 comments:

  1. This was something I needed to read today. Looking forward to your vlog. I laughed out loud when you mentioned recipes in magazines and whatnot. I've been going through mags while creating my vision/dream book and last night, I swear I wanted to try every recipe my eyes ran across. We will get through this and look back on these days with huge smiles across our faces for we have made it. Keep up the good work and remember to take it a day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julia! Okkkayyyy @the recipes! LOL! And since I've been on holiday, we've been watching The Cooking Channel. ;-0 Not a good deal at all! LOL! But back to work tomorrow and back to the Friday Doughnut Club temptation! ;0

    ReplyDelete