Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3 - January 3, 2011

LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING...

The adage, "Don't judge a book by its cover," is so true.  Today, I created my own version of this common expression, "Don't judge the exercises by the number of repetitions or the sample pictures," cause this sh%^ is still hard! LOL!  Today was our second workout session and focused on a total body strength training workout.  We alternated between the use of a 20 pound barbell and a pair of 5 pound dumbbells.  Again, my mind has to readjust to the fact that I'm not where I used to be, and although this routine might not have been as challenging then, it's definitely INSANE today!  My workout partner and I agreed that we would still do 3 sets, but would reduce our repetitions to 12 for each set.  After I couldn't make it pass 10 reps with the first routine, I knew it was going to be downhill from there (as far as the number of reps!).  ;-0

The following is the killer routine:

First Exercise:  Barbell Front Squat to Push Press - 3 sets, 10, 8, 8 reps, 20lb barbell weight


Second Exercise:  Thrusters - 3 sets, 10, 8, 8 reps, 5lb dumbbell weight









Third Exercise:  Single-Arm Reverse Lunge and Press - 3 sets, 10, 8, 8 reps, 5lb dumbbell weight











Fourth Exercise:  Barbell High Pull - 3 sets, 8, 8, 8 reps, 20lb barbell weight







Fifth Exercise:  Barbell Jump Shrug - 3 sets, 8, 8, 8 reps, 20lb barbell weight








Sixth Exercise:  Single-Arm Dumbbell Snatch - 3 sets, 10, 8, 8 reps, 5lb dumbbell weight  (Note:  The picture shows an example of this exercise using the kettlebell because I couldn't find a picture with the dumbbell.)






SO HOW DID I REALLY FEEL ABOUT IT...

The following is my first Vlog after this killer routine:

 
  
HUNGER PAINS...


There is a little monster that lurks around, flashing images of cookies, muffins, cake, ice cream, anything carbs in my mind! LOL! This monster I'm getting to know very well as the sign of hunger pains.  It always stalks me after I haven't eaten in about two to three hours or when I haven't eaten enough calories.  It's a little frustrating when the very foods my dietitian has told me to limit myself to (i.e. carbohydrates) is the very thing that allows me to meet my 1,500 caloric intake each day.  Without the carbs, the lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables that I eat I'm not getting too far past 1,000 calories.  ;-0  It's amazing how many vegetables you can eat without overloading on calories but even if I eat a ton of green beans or collards, I still feel empty.  Last night, I went to bed feeling light and empty and a part of me was happy to have that feeling since previous heaviness and acid has given me heartburn and a rumbling tummy.  The other part of me that had the munchies was dying for some CARBS!

This morning after the workout, I revisited my food plan and was happy to see that the calories would at least hit closer to the mark than yesterday.  Today's diet is a total of 1,452.50 calories and that's mainly because of these scrumptious turkey burger sliders I made from a recipe that I discovered in fitness guru, Jackie Warner's book, This is Why You're Fat.  It falls under her snack section, but I used it as my lunch by adding these new Pepperide Farm mini slider buns and some Daiya cheddar cheese to the mix.  It's super easy to make and really does fill you up (recipe below).  Because I did a strength training routine today, I added an extra recovery supplement to my Pineapple Cocktail Smoothie mix and that also helped to increase the calories.  Tonight, I'll have a Bird's Eye steamed pasta veggie dish that will also contribute to an increase in the calories.  But I know the only reason the calories are high is because of the slider buns and meat, recovery supplement mix, and the pasta in tonight's dinner.   By Wednesday, my caloric intake was going to drop to under 1,000 because it's my off day from working out and I wouldn't be drinking a smoothie before my workout.  I'm also substituting the turkey burger sliders for a turkey sandwich for lunch. 

After trying to figure out what other veggies or protein I could add to my diet to increase the calories, I finally decided to add more healthier carbs during my lunch and as a snack to bring the caloric count closer to 1,500. I found these lovely healthy choices during a hunger pain attack today as I walked through Publix grocery store. Yes, I was back at the store again! This time for a new snack idea.  I came across three different kinds of dried vegetable chips, humus, salsa, and guacamole that I can add to my diet; and then I ran out of the store as quickly as I could because the aromas of warm, baked bread was also calling my name! LOL!

Even though the workout routine was a killer today and the hunger pains are tempting, I still continue to feel good about this new life and all that the future has promised.  I'm also enjoying the opportunity to learn from and share with others that are going along this same journey.  Thank you for your comments and support!

My Word for Today:  Focused



Turkey Burger Mini Sliders 

Ingredients:

20 oz Ground Turkey
1/4 cup of barbecue sauce
1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
Seasons To Taste:  seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
Pepperidge Farm Mini Slider Buns
Lettuce                                                                    
Tomato Slices


Directions:

  1. Coat a table top grill with Pan Spray.
  2. Combine the ground turkey, barbecue sauce, and Dijon mustard.
  3. Use the seasons to taste.
  4. Form into 10 to 12 mini patties.
  5. Place patties on the table top grill and coat to your preference of done. (Note:  Add lettuce, tomatoes, and low calorie cheese to the sandwich for extra flavor and veggies.)

Single Serving Size: 
2

Total Servings:
10 to 12

Calories:
493.5 (Note:  The veggie chips in the plate are not included in the calories listed.)

8 comments:

  1. OMG! The burgers look so good! I like that you make your journey relatable to everyone going through a weight loss, life changing journey. Keep up the journey and keep us posted. We all need inspiration no matter where we are in our fitness journey. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I'm eating turkey again, I will be trying those delicious sliders. It really is hard to reach your calorie intake. You seem to be good in doing so, though. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tracy and Jewells. The burgers are delicious and are so good you forget their low cal.

    Yes, Jewells gurl, I never thought I'd struggle with not having ENOUGH calories in my diet. Oh well, I won't complain, I'll just get more creative. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the workout routine. I really need some stuff I can do at home, since I'm unemployed I seem to be at home ALOT! lol I just don't have the weights pictured, but I'll make do. Please keep posting your workout info, it's so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your video, you mentioned a book you were using...is that where you get your exercises from? If so, what book is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @GiGi, thanks gurl. I'm glad you like the workout routines and I'd be happy to continue to post them. I know this period of time while you're unemployed may be one of the most frustrating times, but it's also a time of great opportunity to get your workout on at any time of day or night you want. I only wish that when I was unemployed that I had been in the frame of mind to get my body in shape. KUDOS to you for being inspired to do so!

    I totally understand the challenge of using your money to buy equipment and workout DVDs and all that jazz. But there are common household items that you can use in place of the ones I use in the routines. For instance, you can replace the dumbbells with canned goods and the barbell with a broom. You don't want to start off too heavy with the weights at first, so these every day household items will be a good start for you.

    The other great thing about the strength training routine is that you can do them anywhere at anytime with little or no equipment.

    The book that I got the routine from is entitled, "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!" by Adam Campbell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I do have a 3lb and a 5lb set of dumbbells and some resistance bands, so I'm gonna use those. I will blog about what I did, and how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @GiGi, awesome! The 3lb and 5lb dumbbells and resistance bands are all that you need. I can to read your blog for the results. You go gurl!

    ReplyDelete