Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8 - January 8, 2011

WHOLE PAYCHECK...

That's what I like to affectionately call, Whole Foods Market:  Natural and Organic Grocery Store. LOL! I love, love, love, this place, but hate the way my money dwindles quickly as I add up the items in my shopping cart.  Today's mistake...I went to Whole Foods hungry. ;-0 It's bad enough going there on a full stomach, but with only 8 almonds and a bottle of of water in my system, I was a prime candidate for binge shopping! To top it off, they had the nerve to have sample tables set up throughout the store.  I couldn't resist.

THE GOOD NEWS...

I walked away with healthy items from the sample tables and great recipe ideas for next week's meal plan.  My top four purchases were:  fresh brocollini, 3 Beer BBQ Rub, cheribundi's Tart Cherry Juice,  and gnu Foods' flavor & fiber bar.

The vendor at the 3 Beer BBQ Rub had samples of a dip and BBQ sauce that you could make using the rub (see info on the company below).  When I tell you both of those sauces were absolutely fabulous, trust me, they were.  They were sooooo good that when I finally made it home and after devouring my lunch, I decided to make the dip and the BBQ sauce.  Both will be used in Monday's lunch of Faux Fried Chicken Tenders (a recipe I found in People magazine.)  Both recipes are so quick and easy to use and of course, I made a vegan version of the dip with vegan sour cream and vegan mayonnaise (recipes below for the dip and BBQ sauce).

My taste buds were granted even more pleasure from the fiber bar lady. gnu Foods' energy bars are one of the first such bars that I actually love (see info on the company below)!  I've tried several brands in hopes of finding a good pre-workout or post-workout snack and I've hated every one of them.  So not only did I waste my taste buds and calories on gummy, bland energy bars, but I also wasted a lot of money.  These bars come in 7 flavors:  banana walnut, chocolate brownie, cinnamon raisin, espresso chip, lemon ginger, orange cranberry, and peanut butter.  My favorite of the ones that were for sample was a tie between the banana walnut and the cinnamon raisin.  The orange cranberry was pretty good too but the chocolate brownie tasted like bad diet food. LOL!

I washed everything down with a sample of the cheribundi's Tart Cherry Juice (see info on the company below).  The juice wasn't extremely sweet and although I thought at first it was going to taste overwhelming cherry, I tasted more of the apple juice (it's also a part of the mixture) than the cherry juice.  We got a bottle to add to our smoothies, so stay tuned for a Cherry Apple Pie Smoothie recipe with Tart Cherry Juice as the star of the drink.

THE BAD NEWS...

It took my whole paycheck! LOL!  Seriously, it's expensive sometimes to eat healthy and feels like a bit of a conspiracy. ;-0 Why is it so easy to get cheap, fast food or 2 for 1 deals at high caloric restaurants, or even free or half priced specials on prescription drugs, and happy hour specials on alcohol, but no such deals for natural, organic, whole foods? Even though it would be easier for me and seemingly more cost-effective to eat the fast food and fatty foods, I realized that in the end, it's going to be more cost-effective to make healthier choices to prevent the medical bills on the back end. ;-0 So I won't complain anymore about Whole Foods or making healthier choices.  Instead, I'll  be more grateful for the fact that there are so many more healthier choices available to us than there have ever been before.  Healthy food no longer has to taste bland, gummy, and unsatisfying...just try one of the recipes below.

ABOUT 3 Beer BBQ Rub
http://www.weingeorgia.com/Home_Page_8ND5.php

An original blend that has been pleasing family and friends for years.  Brown Sugar Sweet with Mild Heat that really flavors pork, beef, chicken, and fish.  It's not just a rub.  It spices up baked beans, corn, squash, and other dishes.

After trying every rub and spice available, Spiceman (Don) became very frustrated.  They were all too dang salty, so he set out to make his own spice.  After years of tweaking his ratios, he was content he had reached perfection.  It was only after hearing the multiple cries, "I gotta have some of this," from friends and family, did he set out to share with the rest of the world.











ABOUT cheribundi's Tart Cherry Juice
http://www.gnufoods.com/about/#company 



Gnu Foods is a small company that makes all natural, great-tasting foods that help address specific nutritional needs and health conditions. It was founded in 2004 with the introduction of our first product, the Gnu Bar, a high fiber bar that promotes regularity and heart health.

Gnu Bars are a great healthy snack that pack 12 grams of fiber into one small bar! Each of our bars is made with delicious, all-natural ingredients that keep you feeling great inside and out.


ABOUT cheribundi's Tart Cherry Juice
http://www.cheribundi.com/ourjuices.html 

cheribundi™ starts as Montmorency cherries grown in Michigan and New York orchards. We use a proprietary juicing process that was developed with Cornell University to make a drink that retains all the power and benefits of the nutrients and antioxidants found in the little round fruits. cheribundi™cheribundi™ is all-natural and not from concentrate, it's a feel-better and live-healthier addition to your lifestyle.

My Word for Today:  Sustainability






Party Time BBQ Dip

Ingredients:

1 cup (8oz) Tofruitti Vegan Sour Cream
1/2 cup (4oz) Veganese or regular Mayo
3 tablespoons of 3 Beer BBQ Rub

Directions:

Mix it all together and Bon Appetit!


3 Beer BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup of water
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce

2 tbsp of 3 Beer BBQ Rub

Directions:

  1. Put all ingredients into a small pot.
  2. Simmer for 15 minutes.
  3. Add more liquid for desired thickness.





 

1 comment:

  1. I love Whole Foods too, but you are not lying about the fact it hits your wallet pretty hard. It's so sad that you can get foods that will put you in the hospital for just .99, but something that is worth eating that will have a good effect on you will take a big chunk out of your wallet. I say, when you don't have a lot of money, visit Whole Foods and snack on the samples, then you know what you like and don't and come back when you have more money. I can't wait to try all of the items that you tried! Sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete