Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5 - January 5, 2011

EAT THIS...NOT THAT








Today was my rest day from the workout routine and my body definitely needed it, but my mind and spirit probably needed the endorphin rush from a good workout.  There were a couple of stressful moments at work today that I won't bother to give you the intimate details about, but let's just say, the "food demon" was in full effect.  I've always been an emotional eater and no matter what type of mood I'm in, I always find a reason to commiserate through food.  Today was no exception to that rule, well at least with the tempting thoughts that ran through my mind. It didn't help either when my co-worker told me that the local bakery (my favorite in the area) had a 2 for 1 special on ALL OF THE PASTRIES!!! ;-0 LOL!

Although I want to get to a point that I don't use food (healthy or unhealthy versions) to pacify my emotions, I decided to offer myself a compromise.  Instead of giving into the temptations to have something really high caloric and fatty or sugary sweet, I searched the web for a few alternatives and decided to create my own low calorie version of a Filet o Fish Combo Meal.  I found a vegan substitute for the tartar sauce (recipe below) and I grilled a Salmon Burger instead of deep frying a breaded fish, used a vegan cheddar cheese slice, and a Whole Wheat Bun, which all greatly reduced the calories in the sandwich.  Instead of deep frying some potatoes, I chose steamed red potatoes and string beans from Green Giant.  With this modified version, I saved 190 calories and prevented myself from feeling guilty if I had made a bad food choice instead of this lighter version. ;-)

My Word for Today:  Compromise



Vegan Tartar Sauce  for Your Healthy Filet o Fish! 










Ingredients:


1/2 pound soft (silken) tofu
1/4 cup safflower oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup pickle relish

Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients (except pickle relish) into a food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Pour into the storage container.
  4. Stir in relish by hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment